Most bloggers love when their traffic is high and they have a great deal of fans. Getting to that popular point can be a little difficult however. If you want to have a successful blog, you will need to make sure all of the components are there.
One of the most important components to have within your blog is scan-ability. This really means that your blog is scan able, or easy to go through quickly while still capturing the main points of your posts.
Use these seven tips to make sure your blog is scan able and you will see an increase in traffic to your site.
1) Keep It Short.
- The number one mistake bloggers make when posting is creating extremely long posts. You should always be honest about your views and post accurate information. However, you should also be concise with your posts.
- Web surfers don’t have the time or the desire to sit around for hours reading your blog. They are looking for a quick satisfying post to quickly fill them up. They want something that is full on content, but not lengthy. If you tend to be wordy with your posts, try cutting them down a bit to see if your traffic increases.
2) Create Interesting Headlines.
- The way you set up your posts has a lot to do with them being scan able. Your posts should always have an interesting headline. It should be catchy and attention grabbing with its wording and also be done using different style elements such as bold print, colored print, and italics.
- The more attention you can get to the headline, the easier it will be for a reader to go through your posts and read the ones that interest them most. When you make it easy for the readers, they will read more.
3) Break Up Your Posts.
- Breaking up your posts is not only about headlines, it is also about endings. Create a signature way of signing off on a post. You can “sign” your name or you can always end with an interesting quote. You can also choose to end with a question to try to get readers involved.
- No matter what your signature ending is, it will be easier for people to shift their focus from one post to the next when they see it. It will become familiar to regular readers and will be a comforting sign that you have nothing else to say on that topic at that time.
4) Cut Out the Big Words.
- You should never feel the need to use enormous words that very few people understand or can even pronounce. The best thing you can do is keep the grammar very simple on your blog. By doing so, you are making your blog easier to scan and to read.
- Most people will only look through the blog for phrases and headings, so these big words can really be distracting. With less than 20% of blog readers going over word for word, you should not waste your time trying to impress. Instead, write in the manner that you would talk to a friend. Making it casual is a great way to gain a lot of interest.
5) Don’t Use It as Story Site.
- When someone uses their blog as a place to post lengthy stories about life, they are making a mistake. Blogs are indeed personal journals and if you want to do that, you are entitled. However, if you want your blog to be popular, you should not post stories.
- Instead, to make your blog more scan able, you should post lists because lists are very effective ways to make your blog scan able and readers will love you for it.
6) Graphics Work.
- Graphics were once things that bloggers thought got in the way of their content. Today however the opposite is true. When done appropriately, graphics can really add to your content and make your readers more interested.
- You can make your site scan able by adding a few graphics to your blog. Try adding graphics that go along with your posts for an efficient approach.
7) Be Clear.
- When you have something to say on your blog, just go ahead and say it. Some bloggers tend to let their opinions or main points drift in and out of their posts subtly. The most effective way to get your point across in a blog is to come out with blazing guns.
- You should keep your main point close to the beginning. This is a great way to know readers understand what you want to say.